Scotland the 12th century, when King David

Scotland has a wealth of heritage strewn across its kirks
and kirkyards; however, these valuable resources are threatened by the ravages
of time and exposure to the elements. While numerous sites have succumbed to
these threats and lie in ruins, there are others where communities have worked
together to assess and mitigate these risks through effective conservation
programmes that seek to promote and successfully exploit their historical
value. This research project aims to investigate one such site where the
survival rate of the gravestones has been greatly improved in order to discover
the influencing factors. By mainly focusing on this case study, it aims to
identify the conservation
and management practices that may impact historical burial grounds (Bell, J.
and Waters, S. 2014 p.10).

 

Situated at the base
of the Ochil Hills near Stirling, Logie Kirk is admired as one of the oldest
in Scotland, dating back to the 12th century, when King David I divided
Scotland into parishes. This proposal will first position the research within
its relevance to Scottish heritage by providing a brief overview of Logie
Kirk’s historic timeline with reference to the historic buildings that were originally located on
the site and those that replaced them. This will be followed by a discussion of
the research methodology, background and questions, as well as regulatory and ethical
considerations. It will conclude with a synopsis of the literature to be
evaluated and reviewed.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!


order now

 

According to records (www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/stirling/logieoldkirk/index.html) a church dedicated to St Serf was standing at the Logie
site in 1183 and by 1210 a clerk parson, Ysaac Micael, had been appointed. The building was replaced in 1380
by second, Roman Catholic church, which remained active during the reformation
in 1560, but by 1684 it had been abandoned to ruin. By 1790 it was so
dilapidated that Sir Robert Abercromby
of Airthrey gifted land
so that a new kirk could be rebuilt for the parish, which relocated to the new
site in 1805. Stone from the Old Kirk was reused in the building of the new
one, and part of the south wall and the west gable were also kept. This is
still located on the new site that we see today. The original parish records mention
the construction: