Race in this world. Take Barack Obama for

Race refers to a category of people distinctly defined by their specific inherited features. These features include skin color, facial characteristics and even stature. Race is certainly easy to identify; this being because the distinct physical differences amongst races which lead us to draw conclusions about one’s biology. The most obvious difference is skin tone. Other variations include hair type, facial formations and height. Because of these physical attributions, scientists have categorized people into 9 races: African, American Indian or Native American, Australian Aborgine, European, Indian, Melanesian, Micronesian, and Polynesian (cite). From a scientific point of view, race is seen as a biological category. One that divides humans by nothing but genetics. But what race is truly, is a sociological category. One that shapes the way we act and behave with one another. Just recently scientists are beginning to see it that way. Race is so much more than just biology, its sociology. It affects us by creating divisions, choosing the groups we associate with, and determining how we see ourselves.The role of race in society is staggering. That is why it is so important to see race as a social construction. It serves as our premier source of human identity and places us into a societal hierarchy. For some, their race is their master role in society. The first thing people notice about someone, is their race. It becomes a marker for their identity and place in this world. Take Barack Obama for example, he was born to an African American father and a white mother. He is just as much white as he is black but identifies almost solely as an African American. This is because this race, is the societal group he and the rest of the world has placed him in based on his physical appearance. The truth is, racial categories are not biologically defined but socially defined. Just less than 1% of our DNA contributes to the tangible differences associated with race (cite). That means the other 99% of our DNA is more similar to one another than we think. The Thomas Theorem helps us to clarify how race can be both societally real and biologically false. The theory claims, “situations defined as real are real in their consequences” (cite). Because we absolutely view racial groups as real, it absolutely has real consequences. The understanding of racial differences is most certainly linked to the unequal treatment of other races. Those who deny that unequal treatment of certain races exists must deny the existence of racial classification as well, according to the Thomas Theorem. Society has already established that race is prevalent, we now have to see the  sociological consequences it evokes. Sociologically, not only have we created these groups of people but we’ve created prejudices attached to them as well. Prejudice is an individual attitude based on the irrational generalization of a group of people. They can be positive, for example: “All Australians are friendly.” They can also be negative, for example: “Latinos are not as intelligent as white people.” These negative prejudices prove to be very dangerous for society because they create discrimination. To discriminate someone or a group of people is to act on the prejudices one holds. To discriminate against someone because of their race is simply the act of racism. Sociology has identified three levels of racism, individual, institutional and everyday. All three have the same negative impact of dividing us sociologically. Individual racism comes from people expressing racist ideas. The effect is individuals of different races feeling unsafe and apprehensive. Institutional racism includes institutional processes that maintain systematic discrimination. Examples of this level of racism include: educational and employment outcomes, lack of representation in the media and politics, over-policing and social violence. This level illustrates personal experiences of discrimination are much more widespread and happening at all times. The last level is titled everyday racism.